Saturday, November 7, 2009

Living for the cross

Have you ever thought about the consequences of being a Christian? I was rereading one of my favorite books, When God Writes Your Love Story by Eric and Leslie Ludy, and I was struck by a reference to a story of the disciple Andrew. With every breath that he took, Andrew preached the message of Jesus. The Roman governor threatened Andrew saying, “If you don’t stop preaching this message of Jesus and this cross, I’m going to crucify you on one, too!” Andrew simply replied, “Sir, I would not have preached about the glory of the cross of Jesus if I was not also willing to die upon it!”

When I read this again, the passage had a completely new significance. My heart stopped; my throat swelled. I asked myself a question that was stealing my every breath, “Am I willing and would I be overjoyed to die upon the cross of Jesus?” I realized that every time I write a blog post, every time I hand my bible to someone, even every day when I wear my cross necklace, I must also be willing to be nailed to a cross and die.

Ask yourself this, “Am I willing to die upon the cross that I wear? Am I willing to be nailed to a cross every time I tell someone that I am a Christian? Am I not only willing, but am I also excited to do all these things? Am I truly willing to live for Christ?”

My prayer this morning for you and for me is this:

“Lord, thank you so much for the blessing of this day. Surrounded by everything of this world, may I learn what it means to live with abandon: to truly give up my life, take up my cross, and die each morning in order that I may truly follow You. Form me, shape me, mold me, and break me until I am nothing more than the wooden cross that I carry. With all of my heart, I love you, Lord. I am Yours.”

No comments:

Post a Comment